Welcome to the National Trust of Guernsey’s Folk and Costume Museum at Saumarez Park, where visitors can come along and take a step back in time to enjoy the Trust’s fascinating historic collections, unique to Guernsey.
Learn about the history of Guernsey’s people over the past 250 years. Displays tell the story of daily life for those at home, at school or working in one of the local industries that dominated much of life on Guernsey until the late 20th century. Following from a traditional Guernsey farmhouse kitchen through to the 20th century growing industry, the museum offers insights into all aspects Guernsey’s past life.
Costume lovers will enjoy special exhibitions from our nationally acclaimed costume collection, cared for by our costume volunteers under the guidance of Costume Curator, Caro Drake. Selections from any of the over 8,000 pieces held by the museum are on display throughout every season.
A visit would be incomplete without a visit to the museum shop which offers a range of local and traditional gifts and sweets for all ages and all tastes.
NEW FOR 2018:
2018 marks the 50th Anniversary of the National Trust of Guernsey’s Folk and Costume Museum and, to celebrate the occasion, we will be showcasing the best and most unique items within the Island’s largest collection of local historic Island costume.
- Jewels of The Collection: a selection of some of the very best of our Costume Collection, taken from nearly 8,000 items held for prosperity, education and enjoyment.
- Happiest day of your life? Wedding Dresses through the 20th century: 2018 will likely see the last major royal British wedding of this generation and, to mark this occasion, we are taking the opportunity to show a selection of our wedding dresses and take an in-depth study of how the dresses demonstrate changing fashions, styles and techniques throughout the 20th century.
- Party like it’s 1928: as part of this year’s celebratory mode, we will be displaying cocktail and party dresses from the 1920’s and 30’s, never before put out on public display. The Roaring Twenties are represented with flapper dresses, lots of sequins and other iconic, period garments and accessories.
2018 Dates & Opening Times:
Tuesday 20th March – Wednesday 31st October 2018
Open 7 days a week: 10am – 5pm (last entry 4.15pm)
Closed Liberation Day, Wednesday 9th May, 2018
Private tours (including School groups) can be accommodated by prior arrangement outside of these times.
Concessions (OAP/Student): £4
Children (7-18) £2 Children (Under 7): FREE
National Trust (Worldwide) and La Société Guernesiaise Members: FREE
- reduced entry rates on offer for adult and/or child pre-booked groups exceeding eight people. Please contact the museum by telephone or email, for exact group rate prices.
- available to organised groups of 8+ people that have booked prior to the day of visit. Activities/Refreshments/Guided Tours are also on offer but may result in additional fees. Please call ahead to discuss details if interested.
- pre-booking rates are guaranteed for bookings made a week in advance of the day of the visit. Availability of group rates, for bookings made less than a week before a visit, is granted at the discretion of the National Trust of Guernsey.
- Local Guernsey based schools and youth groups can arrange group visits free-of-charge
Additional and bespoke options for group visits:
- 30 or 45 minute guided tour for £10.00/per every 15 people (English language only)
- Taster Experience: Apple Juice/Cider/Guernsey Gâche tasting: an additional £1.50 per person (only available as an extra, as part of a guided tour)
- for visits cancelled prior to the day of proposed visit – no charge
- for visits cancelled on the day of the visit: £10 administration charge will apply, or £15 for out-of-regular-hours bookings.
Please contact Christian Morris, Museum Curator on 00 44 (0)1481 255384 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a complete breakdown of prices plus additional information for your tour.
How to find us:
Saumarez Park, Castel, GY5 7UJ (Perry’s Guide Map 15G2)
Accessible using the following bus routes: 41 and 42
Buses leave the Town Terminus every 15 minutes. Alight from the bus at Saumarez Park.
Plan your route with Buses.gg Journey Planner